Vice President of Ecommerce
The Vice President of eCommerce is responsible for all eCommerce efforts including profit and loss (P&L) for all web programs, driving traffic to the website, conversion rates and performance of the website, site aesthetics and site functionality consistent with the brand. Works with the Sr. VP of Marketing to develop promotions, content, advertising and contact strategies, to aquire customers at a predefined aquistion cost or contribution, and to maximize contribution per customer over the customer lifecycle.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES – Other Duties May Be Assigned:
- Works with Sr. VP of Marketing to create annual and long term business strategies and revenue plans for all eCommerce efforts.
- Leads and manages day-to-day online store management including on-site promotions, product, and content presentation.
- Develops and manages projects to drive customer and acquisition traffic and conversion to meet and exceed budgeted goals. This includes Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Search Engine Marketing (SEM), affiliates, marketplace, social media, and all appropriate, cost effective vehicles to drive on-line revenue growth and profitability.
- Works closely with the Sr. CRM Analyst to optimize the email marketing strategy and execution.
- Owns the scheduling, coordination, and execution of all online publishing events for the website and related eCommerce marketing and merchandising campaigns and associated content.
- Coordinates the development of strategic eCommerce marketing and merchandising plans and campaigns, aligning schedules, projects, budgets, and resources to meet expected results.
- Executes full lifecycle project management on eCommerce projects, including analysis and documentation of business requirements, functional and technical specifications, scoping, scheduling, functional team handoffs and strategic planning. Responsible for coordination of UAT.
- Drives best practices for eCommerce opportunities, processes and tools through continuous learning, keeping abreast of eCommerce trends and innovation.
- Provides accurate forecasting of eCommerce initiatives to Senior Management.
- Manages the eCommerce budget and partners with circulation to exceed revenue and company-wide profit targets.
- Defines mid and long term road map for taxonomy, features and functionality to improve the user experience. Contributes to online content by testing and implementing improved web usability, page flow, navigation, and content to support the overall objective of increasing visitors’ conversion rates.
- Manages reporting and analyses of marketing campaigns and programs. Oversees and monitors website analytics and key metrics.
- Selects eCommerce vendors, negotiates contracts and manages vendor relationships.
- Leads by example; demonstrates the Company’s core and leadership competencies.
- Takes actions to learn, teach and support the Company’s policies, practices, and processes.
- Manages and provides leadership and developmental opportunities for direct reports including hiring, training, work assignments, and performance evaluations.
- Fosters a team environment where associates feel they are valued and important members of the organization.
- Provides guidance on goals and objectives through clear, effective, timely, and constructive feedback to staff.
- Practices open door policy. Identifies, addresses, and resolves conflict immediately while maintaining a positive work environment.
- Demonstrates positive self-confidence and business maturity in professional relationships.
- Adheres to company policies and leads by example; maintains confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Balances empowerment with control.
- Effectively develops and manages budget in line with Company expectations.
SCOPE OF POSITION
This position has a direct impact on the reputation the Company maintains in a highly competitive marketplace. Therefore it is of vital importance to have the ability to present a professional image, communicate knowledgeably about the company and solve problems.
- This is a highly visible position, impacting the business strategically and operationally. The Director of eCommerce is a business partner to company leaders and as such must be well versed in the company’s business model and plans.
- Works independently to facilitate the objectives of the department and Company under minimal direction. Position requires the exercise of independent judgment with a high degree of latitude and decision making.
- Directly manages eCommerce associates. Approves decisions made by staff.
- Daily interaction with managers and associates. Frequent interaction with vendors and suppliers.
- Maintains the sensitivity of confidential information.
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
- Strong understanding of the job functions and possesses the knowledge and skills required to perform the required job functions.
- Personal credibility and business maturity with the ability to understand and apply the inter-relationships of eCommerce processes with Company objectives.
- Dependable, responsible and willing to accept accountability; holds direct reports and others accountable.
- Strong continuous learning for self and others; keeps abreast of changes in current field and new technology. Desire to learn new techniques, skills, and principles as part of an aggressive e-marketing team.
- Superior written and verbal communications and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent project management skills with high attention to detail.
- Strong web project management skills with the ability to direct staff in the development of usability, functionality and content development of web and email.
- Results oriented with excellent planning, prioritization, decision making, organizational and time management skills; works well under pressure and delivers on commitments with little direction.
- Ability to build and lead effective teams; ensures cooperation between the team and others.
- Strong customer service orientation drives a culture of customer appreciation and service excellence within the department, throughout the Company, and externally.
- Flexible with the ability to quickly adapt and re-prioritize in a continuously changing working environment.
- Shows initiative and has the ability to develop and implement more efficient ways of working.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to set targets, design improvement plans and ascertain best approach methodologies.
- Strong knowledge of pop culture and current events as it relates to our products and customers.
- Strong computer skills including word processing, spreadsheet, database programs, and report writing; knowledge of basic HTML and other web editing tools and browsers.
- Strong business acumen and the ability to contribute to the continued growth of the organization.
- Ability to hire, train and develop resources to maximize efficiency and effectiveness; recognizes and effectively leverages associates skills and abilities.
- Ability to create an environment in which associates feel they can express their thoughts and opinions, where they want to do their best and where their career development is clearly aligned with the goals of the Company.
- Ability to create goals and objectives within the department that clearly coincide and support the goals and objectives of the Company; provides appropriate training, tools, level of decision making authority, and reasonable deadlines to assist associates to meeting set goals and objectives.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to be pragmatic, assertive and influential; leads by example; skilled at balancing vision and execution.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Marketing or related discipline strongly preferred. An advanced degree is desired, but is not required.
- 7-10 + years in an online, B2C eCommerce environment; 4+ years of P&L accountability, with the ability to provide both strategic and tactical direction as well as providing direct, hands-on execution.
- Direct, hands on experience managing traffic-generating programs such as affiliate, SEO/SEM, Comparison Shopping Engines, Marketplaces, online display advertising, and other marketing programs is required.
- Experience in developing and executing email plans and campaigns.
- Experience managing website content and activities associated with website launches/redesigns including menu architecture development and web page layouts and graphic designs.
- Demonstrated track record of developing reliable eCommerce forecasts and meeting or exceeding goals.
SAMPLE JOB DESCRIPTION #2
The newly created role of Vice President of Ecommerce will drive sales and customer acquisition through the online marketing programs of the company, oversee design and functionality of the website, and lead the brand through all online communications and campaigns.
Reports to the President, works closely with the Executive and Management Teams.
- Develop online marketing plan and strategies to meet revenue goals and metric objectives. Set up systems and processes to track activity and results against goals.
- Supervise e-mail marketing campaigns, newsletter, affiliate programs, paid search, programmatic, social media campaigns and other marketing activities to drive sales through traffic and conversion.
Manage customer acquisition and retention programs, including Gift Registry and Corporate Gift Program.
- Oversee online partnership relationships
- Develop a testing strategy to continually optimize the customer’s online shopping experience.
Website Design and Functionality:
- Website design and functionality.
- Direct website development, including content development, product selection, and creative design.
- Oversee re-development of website to reflect key brand concepts, and maintain brand identity on an ongoing basis.
- Direct website enhancements to improve conversion, including visualization tools, personalization, and a Content Management System.
- Maximize website design and content for search engine optimization.
- Coordinate best practices research for competitive analysis.
- Recruit, manage, and review online marketing staff; supervise and coordinate assignments and responsibilities of the various staff positions.
- Coordinate and direct outside online marketing vendors.
- Develop online marketing budgets, authorize invoice payments, and oversee cost controls.
- Interface with other departments on web-related projects.
Key Selection Criteria:
-Demonstrated success in overseeing development of website design and content; 7-10 years of experience in website management.
-Online direct marketing experience (7-10 years) in lead generation and customer acquisition.
Strong analytical skills and highlhy data-driven with the ability to identify key performance metrics and communicate analysis to management to drive decisions and actions.
Empathetic to the brand.
Other Desired Skills:
-Strong project management skills.
-Supervisory experience; demonstrated ability to engender a team spirit in individuals supervised.
-Budget management experience (P and L responsibility).
-Additional direct marketing experience outside of e-commerce would be a plus
-Experience in working with online merchandising and sales, ideally in the luxury goods or home furnishings arena.
-Broad knowledge of e-commerce technologies.
-Experience with partnerships and business development.
-Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively.
Check out my widely read post, “Looking for an Ecommerce Leader? Here’s Your Hiring Checkist”, for key skills and attributes required for success as a Vice President of Ecommerce.
A proud member of many regional and national multichannel marketing associations, the Minnesota Association of Personnel Services, Database Marketing Institute and Advisory Board of Data University.